<\body> Stories in America: Welcome to Crawford

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Welcome to Crawford

I'm writing from a coffee house in Waco, which is about 20 miles from Crawford, Bush's adopted hometown. Crawford locals make it very clear: if you're not a Bush supporter, you're not welcome. Shop and restaurant windows are plastered with W stickers and even print "Home of President George W. Bush" on receipts. Life-sized cutouts of Bush and his family stared at me as I ate french fries at the only cafe in town. Or were they freedom fries?



I also bought a few postcards at the local gift shop, owned by an ardent Bush supporter. "I like him 'cause he does what he says he's gonna do." He had custom Bush beanie babies made after the last election and proudly told me they sold out in one day.

Coming soon: interviews with local Bush supporters and an activist from the Crawford Peace House.

1 Comments:

At 6/11/2005 9:36 PM, Blogger Raging Monkee said...

Did you check out the Iconoclast? They went for Kerry in the last election and their subscriptions plummeted until word went out. Their 'scrips went from hundreds to more than 9000. My wife and I subscribe. The recent issue had extensive coverage of the use of Depleted Uranium in Iraq. There is hope Rose.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home