<\body> Stories in America: Rethinking Your Carniverous Ways

Friday, May 12, 2006

Rethinking Your Carniverous Ways


Who says vegans don't have a sense of humor about meat? I recently started subscribing to Grist magazine and found this in today's edition. Grist is full of great information about the environment and sustainable living. It's almost always a fun read:
If we thought our vegan readers had an ounce of irony in their flesh-free flesh, we'd recommend Pop Ink's plates, which depict cuts of meat and cannibalistic critters. Actually, they do kinda make ya rethink those carnivorous ways. If only Fakin' Bacon measured up.

2 Comments:

At 5/12/2006 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Years ago I was a vegetarian, though not a vegan. Now I'm what I call semi-vegetarian, which I'm sure will get me char-grilled by vegetarians everywhere.

Anyway, back then, there wasn't this fancy-shmancy web, just those old mailing lists and news readers. (Remember them? Was that just 15 years ago?) Well, I wanted to learn more about my new chosen lifestyle and there wasn't a lot of information available in the library so I was trolling the mailing lists and readers. Well, I asked a few "innocent" questions about dairy and such and what was "allowed". I totally got beat up!

But I got great material for those lists for my stand-up comedy routines. Some of my favorite lines were:
* Animals are our friends and we don't eat our friends, now do we?

* I don't eat anything with a face. (To which I couldn't help but reply that the Sizzler never brought my steak out with a face on it.)

:P

 
At 5/12/2006 12:30 PM, Blogger storiesinamerica said...

I know what you mean...I used to be what some would call a "militant vegan." I'd like to think I've mellowed out since then and now enjoy sharing food with friends who can rarely tell the difference between the vegan version and the non-vegan version.

I have fond memories of mailing lists and news readers using Mosaic. One of my favorite books was the "Internet Yellow Pages."

Vegans, vegetarians and environmentalists will always find something to fight about...

I don't eat anything with a mom...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home