<\body> Stories in America: Real Republican: Let's Quit While We're Behind

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Real Republican: Let's Quit While We're Behind

The following was written by Christopher Buckley, former speechwriter for George H.W. Bush:
"The trouble with our times," Paul Valery said, "is that the future is not what it used to be."

This glum apercu has been much with me as we move into the home stretch of the 2006 mid-term elections and shimmy into the starting gates of the 2008 presidential campaign. With heavy heart, as a once-proud--indeed, staunch--Republican, I here admit, behind enemy lines, to the guilty hope that my party loses; on both occasions.

I voted for George W. Bush in 2000. In 2004, I could not bring myself to pull the same lever again. Neither could I bring myself to vote for John Kerry, who, for all his strengths, credentials, and talent, seems very much less than the sum of his parts. So, I wrote in a vote for George Herbert Walker Bush, for whom I worked as a speechwriter from 1981 to '83. I wish he'd won.

Bob Woodward asked Bush 43 if he had consulted his father before invading Iraq. The son replied that he had consulted "a higher father." That frisson you feel going up your spine is the realization that he meant it. And apparently the higher father said, "Go for it!" There are those of us who wish he had consulted his terrestrial one; or, if he couldn't get him on the line, Brent Scowcroft. Or Jim Baker. Or Henry Kissinger. Or, for that matter, anyone who has read a book about the British experience in Iraq. (18,000 dead.)

1 Comments:

At 9/14/2006 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's an open question as to how Republicans may or may not benefit in the long term if they loose in the upcoming elections.

Ramesh Ponnuru has an interesting op-ed piece in the Times about this. He just might be correct...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/13/opinion/13ponnuru.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

 

Post a Comment

<< Home