<\body> Stories in America: Military Families Respond to Bush's Desperate Plan to Send More Troops to Iraq

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Military Families Respond to Bush's Desperate Plan to Send More Troops to Iraq

This is from Gold Star Families Speak Out, a national organization of families who oppose the U.S. occupation of Iraq and have lost a loved one in the war:
“The only thing worse than having so many die in a war that should never have happened is to have this war claim even more lives. Those who have already died will best be honored by a nation and a Congress with the courage to stop the carnage and end the war,” said Nancy Lessin, co-founder of Military Families Speak Out.

“I have tried to speak to Bush on numerous occasions, and he has never tried to speak to me,” said Celeste Zappala of Philadelphia, PA, whose son Sergeant Sherwood Baker was killed in Baghdad on April 26, 2004 while searching for nonexistent weapons of mass destruction. “I believe that my son’s death was unnecessary, and I work relentlessly to bring the troops home now and to spare other families from the agony that my family experienced when my son died.”

“There are many of us Gold Star Families that say NO MORE,” said Vickie Castro of Venice, CA whose son Cpl. Jonathan Castro was killed in a suicide bombing in Mosul, Iraq on December 21, 2004. “Not one more death for a war that should have never been started. Not one more ‘We regret to inform you’ delivered to a family in the name of an unnecessary and immoral war. Not one more unseen flag draped coffin for a situation that has no military solution. Not one more fatherless child so that Bush can 'stay the course'.”

Michelle Deford of Colton, OR, whose son David was killed in Iraq on September 25, 2004, said “I know that my son’s life was wasted, thrown away like it was nothing. What we need to do is bring the rest of our sons and daughters home now.”

Dianne Santoriello of Verona, PA, whose son, Neil was killed in action near Fallujah on August 13, 2004 said, “I would welcome the chance to explain to the President why my son died in vain, why those who die today or tomorrow or next week do not validate in any way my son's death. I have not slept well at all since I found out my son was dead Perhaps when this war is over we will sleep.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home